International Women’s Day 2019 Singapore
So in the month of March, we asked women of various fields and those who may have many roles to play to share some of their insights in support of #IWD2019
Today we have Felicia Ang with us 🙆🏻♀️ and thank you for the sharing! ♥️
Here’s one of the most inspiring stories we have 🥰
1. International Women’s Day celebrates the scientific, political, economic and social achievement of women. Could you please share what is its significance to you?
- What is significant, I think, is change in the valuation of women and what they can do. This is broad, but I think it accurately captures how society, men and women alike, have come to think of women as being able and willing to contribute and be valuable in ways they never were seen as valuable before.
2. In your line of work, what are the current challenges for women?
- I am in academic research. It is a largely male dominant and extremely rapidly changing field, which means that you cannot drop out and expect to return to where you left off. Progress happens regardless of whether you are involved or not, so it becomes easy to be left behind if you are away for a period of time for your baby or on maternity leave. While it is not cutthroat like the corporate world, the nature of my work is fast moving and relentless. It is tough to stay relevant in the field without consistent creative contributions and expertise.
3. Based on your experience, what advice would you give to women considering to pursue your line of work?
- I would advise women in any nature of research, academic or industrial, to consistently build your skillset.
- Theoretical knowledge, factual knowledge and expertise comes and goes like the wind in this ever progressing world. But if you arm yourself with a strong skillset that is adaptable, you can go anywhere and stand on your own two feet, regardless of the day and age. Anecdotally, you can only be independent if you know how to walk on your own two feet.
Appreciate any sharing to inspire and spread a strong campaign around! ❤️😄
Do drop by our mailbox, we always welcome visitors!